Skip to main content

'orange car'






Probably one of humankind's best ever rituals is a Saturday afternoon zzz, that's if you are not one to have both Saturday and Sunday which is seventh heaven. This weekend we are looking after the last child's children. He refers to them as the 'caimans' and after a horrifying scream of 'how can you say that' he simple says 'try and bade dem'.
After my two hour slumber, hey I am a retired working man, I hear that the 'orange car' has gone missing. OK, I don't know what we are talking about but I look as though I am on top of my game and the search starts in earnest. Of course as always, different interests take over and soon we are on to many other things. As the night approaches and dinner and baths are in order for the 'caimans' I stumble upon the 'orange car'. The boy 'caiman' goes to bed tonight clutching the 'orange car' knowing that all is well with the world. Life is too short to be complicated.

 Yesterday was the final official day for the 'cocoa man'. Many friends and family turned out to say a final farewell. I look back on my own childhood in Arima and I know those days will never return, at least not on the rock, but the values and morals could and we should ensure that we maintain as much as possible. Reminiscing on the days gone puts you in a place where you say that is why I stayed, that is why I made a decision to make Trinidad and Tobago my home. After the service we all went back to a family member's house and there must have been over 75 people that visited throughout the day, all connected in some way, everyone knowing each other. There are not many places in the world where that can happen.

Saturdays are music days at home. From midday we put on the 'gram', actually Sonos, and today's choice was Latin Pop. After a while it's like listening to Disco music. We started off with Despacito then Heroe Favorito and when later in the day Hula Hoop by Daddy Yankee played that was it, back to Dylan and then some serious Motown. I listen to everything, all music is great. My friends and worse yet, my family, don't have the same discerning ear. I have had family ask, 'and what part of the world are we tonight?' Shims, music makes the world go round!

Today was a good day! Driving out the valley to buy 'papers' I met one of the readers of this blog walking in the area and of course we had a talk. We all want the same thing, a T&T that we can live in without all the negativity. We don't mind some of the bacchanal but not with everything, not when it comes to our safety, governance, the economy and the future of our children. Again, these are all man made issues that can be dealt with by having the right people in the right places. The island of Montserrat could not stop the natural disaster of a volcanic eruption but we can surely avoid the catastrophe of a man made disaster.

Another to die for custom for me is to buy doubles on a Saturday. My doubles man [it's never a doubles woman] has his two boys and his life partner working with him. Of course it's always a discourse on things happening on the rock. Today I am asked by his life partner 'what you like about here?' My immediate reply was 'just what I am doing'.

It's Saturday night, the Bajan frogs are noisier than ever, our neighbors visited tonight, they are off to Norway tomorrow, to live, au revoir and we on the rock look forward to a great week. Emancipation Day is on Tuesday, I hope when I go to support no one tells me that I did not meet the dress code and I am disrespecting the culture. Not being the 'blackest man' in T&T sometimes can be a bit disconcerting.

Good night and make sure all 'orange cars' are found before you go to sleep!

Final final, congrats to Akeem Stewart and Nyoshia Cain, winners!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'apology' expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone

Today Trinidad and Tobago was on fire. The discussions on the 'apology,' discussions on the status of the Parliament, everybody is now a certified meteorological expert reporting rainy season rain, people were out and about being very assertive about things that many of them did not really understand. Heat in the place! The statements being made, which caused the 'apology' to then be made, were being said, I think, without really understanding who we are as a people. This is 2017 and we still are having trouble in coming to grips with many social and historic issues that strangely enough are being discussed every day in many places and yet it is only a problem depending on who makes the statement. Let me say that the statement that was made was, even though to many factual, however it rubbed people the wrong way. This is where I have a problem. You read columns written by certain persons that under no circumstances will offend any sector of the society. That same posi

'the bongo night'

She looks at me and says ' you know what night it is?'. I immediately think of 'the bongo night' and she says 'it's Sunday that means popcorn'. So much for 'bongo'. Love the tropics, it is dark by 6.30 and will be light by 6.00am. This is good for ones being, the daylight and nighttime are more or less equal, good balance. We attended a showing of yet another brilliant artist, Abigail Hadeed, whose work spans decades. Her photography is exceptional and her current show ' the Weight of Water' at the 'Y' is something not to be missed. We are a truly talented people, only 1.3m of us yet we can produce world-class works of art. This is why we are very special, very special indeed. I see the great country of America is having their 'midterm' election.  Why should this be of any import for a small island like ourselves? Well for starters I think there is an equivalent Trini population living in the good ole USA. Depending on h

'aghhhhhhhh'

This week has me feeling so down about the rock and what really is our future. I have always considered myself to be Mr. Optimistic. Things would be bad, sometimes downright terrible with little or no hope and I would be there battling it out. The hard part is our present and future position is all man made [excuse the gender] and it seems that no matter what we do, how we vote, who we put our trust in, it somehow ends up bad. In 1956, the hope was there, a mass appeal, in 1986 it returned and was destroyed by 1990, in 2010 432,026 electors voted for the Peoples Partnership, in excess of 60% of the population. By 2015 a lot of the love disappeared and we found ourselves in a position of no-where once again. I use these years because the popular vote was there, the majority voted overwhelmingly for the winning party. Even though the winner in 1956 did not win by any semblance of a majority, over 80% of the electorate cast their vote. It is interesting to note that in 1956 the PPPG