Skip to main content

Missing teeth?



The days on the Rock seem to be getting better and better. This old guy, me, started the process of renewing my driving permit. Age 65 I go and get my medical done and the doc asks did you bring the form. Yes, I was Minister of Transport but I was never 65 before so I did not know the exact procedure. Off I go to the St James Licensing Office and could not have met nicer people. Photos needed, go next door, bam photos taken, back up the stairs, medical form and yellow form stapled with photo, form stamped and returned. Tomorrow I test the new Licensing Office in Caroni for its efficiency and will report back to the people of the Rock. I hope its not freezing as I only wear tropical friendly clothing ( no noodle strap). I then ask the clerk what was the cost of renewing, figuring a fee/tax had been imposed by everyone's friend. She looks at me with a big Trini smile 'yuh lucky, is free' of course I had to reply ' yuh mean ah lucky because ah get ole'. Anyway's, another successful project, nearly completed.

I saw an article recently where the writer was asking about the blue light syndrome. It seems to have been continued by this administration. I have always detested the 'blue lights' it made the PPG look very stupid and the citizens rejected it. They hated the fact that they, legitimate users of the roads where being thrown off the road by screaming official vehicles going where, was anybody's guess. Today I see unmarked vehicles coming up behind me with blue strobe lights indicating that I need to get out of the way to let them pass. Who are these people? There is no siren, no official marks and therefore as far as I am concerned unofficial. Stay back!

The plot thickens with the Police Service Commission. The Chair now says that she never used her casting vote as the four ordinary members actually voted 3-1. The names that have surfaced to the top now seem to have questions about their behaviour in public office. One has a stigma of being a 'roti police' the other questions as to a false accusation against another police office where the senior was found guilty of wrong doing. This is the best and finest we can find in our Police Service? The old Mavrogordato must be turning in his grave. The Brigadier was known for being unbiased in his decisions. In the selection of a Commissioner of Police we seem to be incapable as in everything else. Shameful! Where is the KPMG report and what were the findings and recommendations?
Me, I support someone from the outside, untainted, no 'batch' nonsense. Someone who understands the culture, someone who can command respect, can manage 7000 people, a multi-billion dollar budget and has a time line for dealing with miscreants. Actually, someone brighter than the entire PSC.

Carnival news, the stick fighters vex over how much money they are paid in prize money.. One stick fighter says that even if you win, the money has to go to pay support staff, office staff, trainer, stick maker, manager, wardrobe, celebratory party, gas for vehicle etc. He says that after all of those expenses the stick fighter might just get a $2500.00 out of a $30,000.00 first prize. In addition the stick fighter might lose a tooth or even die! That is an extreme sport and I fully agree to a million dollar first prize payment. I mean to say how much damage can one suffer, maybe not lose teeth but spinal injuries, if wined upon by stage dancers at the Soca Monarch? Missing teeth?

The Rock will be reasonably quiet until Ash Wednesday, not the killings, now at 60 for January, 2018. After Carnival the real mas starts. I think this administration is going to find itself in a lot of trouble, the people will not continue to put up with a totally ineffective government. With staunch supporters in the calypso world singing against the PMOTT, it will be an interesting year. Oh by the way, February is the PMOTT's mid term.

The talk is all around, it's starting, the movement is happening!

Good night and good luck!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'apology' expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone

Today Trinidad and Tobago was on fire. The discussions on the 'apology,' discussions on the status of the Parliament, everybody is now a certified meteorological expert reporting rainy season rain, people were out and about being very assertive about things that many of them did not really understand. Heat in the place! The statements being made, which caused the 'apology' to then be made, were being said, I think, without really understanding who we are as a people. This is 2017 and we still are having trouble in coming to grips with many social and historic issues that strangely enough are being discussed every day in many places and yet it is only a problem depending on who makes the statement. Let me say that the statement that was made was, even though to many factual, however it rubbed people the wrong way. This is where I have a problem. You read columns written by certain persons that under no circumstances will offend any sector of the society. That same posi

'the bongo night'

She looks at me and says ' you know what night it is?'. I immediately think of 'the bongo night' and she says 'it's Sunday that means popcorn'. So much for 'bongo'. Love the tropics, it is dark by 6.30 and will be light by 6.00am. This is good for ones being, the daylight and nighttime are more or less equal, good balance. We attended a showing of yet another brilliant artist, Abigail Hadeed, whose work spans decades. Her photography is exceptional and her current show ' the Weight of Water' at the 'Y' is something not to be missed. We are a truly talented people, only 1.3m of us yet we can produce world-class works of art. This is why we are very special, very special indeed. I see the great country of America is having their 'midterm' election.  Why should this be of any import for a small island like ourselves? Well for starters I think there is an equivalent Trini population living in the good ole USA. Depending on h

'aghhhhhhhh'

This week has me feeling so down about the rock and what really is our future. I have always considered myself to be Mr. Optimistic. Things would be bad, sometimes downright terrible with little or no hope and I would be there battling it out. The hard part is our present and future position is all man made [excuse the gender] and it seems that no matter what we do, how we vote, who we put our trust in, it somehow ends up bad. In 1956, the hope was there, a mass appeal, in 1986 it returned and was destroyed by 1990, in 2010 432,026 electors voted for the Peoples Partnership, in excess of 60% of the population. By 2015 a lot of the love disappeared and we found ourselves in a position of no-where once again. I use these years because the popular vote was there, the majority voted overwhelmingly for the winning party. Even though the winner in 1956 did not win by any semblance of a majority, over 80% of the electorate cast their vote. It is interesting to note that in 1956 the PPPG