Skip to main content

'Popo'



Popo, the carpenter, "What yuh making?" "Ah boy, a ting wit out a name". My favorite line from Miguel Street. Naipaul saw Trinidad society for exactly what it was. Many disagree, it is felt that he abandoned his place of birth but I guess he could never have lived here. The Rock was too small a place for the great writer. I knew his family, the Capildeos, who lived in St James. In my early salesman days hawking quarrying equipment, I met Mr. Capildeo and his sister who I remember to be Naipaul's mother, wonderful people. RIP Sir Naipaul.

I guess Sir Vidia understood the people of the Rock. Like why do we think that everyone else in the valley needs to listen to your own music? Or why if the garbage pick up is on Monday, Wednesday and Friday residents feel the urge to put it out days before, or the fact that once it is not in front of your house then it does not exist. I do not mean to trivialize his life by any means but I am sure that he could not live here on the Rock because of our seemingly small minds. My neighborhood says it all. It tells a tale of who we are, politics, everyday life, we simply not bothered.

This week was thunder on the Rock, Cabinet reshuffle, the appointment of a CoP, finally, and a vehicle stolen twice in one day. The so-called leader and beacon of democracy and independence of the print media had as its front page the stolen vehicle story of its anchor broadcaster being dealt a double whammy. It's as though this was the greatest crime perpetrated on any citizen, ever. No wonder VS packed his bags and headed out.

"A stranger could drive through Miguel Street and just say 'Slum!' because he could see no more." But to its residents this derelict corner of Trinidad's capital is a complete world, where everybody is quite different from everybody else. There's Popo the carpenter, who neglects his livelihood to build "the thing without a name."

The earth continues to spin, the Rock is in a place like everywhere else, VS had his take on life, we continue to exist, tomorrow is another day.

Good night and good luck people of the Rock and do not ever forget Popo and 'a ting wit out a name'.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace and quiet

When you hear the words 'perfect' or 'the best' it makes you feel like a million dollars. Human nature is weird, a simple compliment can turn a whole story into a week of joy! And, yes, I am speaking about the Sunday night popcorn! Apparently, tonight was exceptional. I hope the rest of the week translates into 'perfect'. The horrible news of the deaths of two cyclists over the weekend came as a real shock. We both know a number of people who cycle for good weekend sport and to hear of Joe Brown being killed in an accident was truly heart-rending. When we heard of the accident we started to think of all the people we know who cycle and just hoped it might be somebody we did not know. Is this how it works, you hope that it's not someone you know, what about all the people who actually know the person? Truly a sad day! RIP Joe and Joanna! The issue of cycling and motorists is one that every country I am sure goes through. Is it that the main roads are for...

Keith Noel RIP

Today will always be remembered, as it is the anniversary of the last time I saw my good friend Keith Noel. On this day in 2005 at around 8.00pm, we told Keith goodbye after we had a lime at a local bar, the following day was Corpus Christi, a public holiday. The next morning at around 4.00am I received a phone call informing me of Keith's murder. My life changed, our lives changed as my life partner and I became heavily involved in trying to make a meaningful change as to how we lived here on the Rock. Our children were involved, our eldest son was Keith's good friend as were many co-workers and friends of Keith Noel. Keith's murder was classed as no. 136 on the police files. During our awareness and petition campaign, we were called names by many people who obviously disagreed with what we were doing. I guess the success of the movement, then called the Keith Noel 136 Cmt, created quite a concern amongst those who should have been concerned. Keith would have been 55 ye...

'zaboca boat'

My life partner and I sit every evening and have a meal together. Choice music in the background and a lively discussion as to many things other than impending nuclear war. I remember growing up in Arima in the 60s, with the arrival of TTT, and my father sitting in front of the Phillips TV having dinner on a TV table. No conversation, but that was the era. Tonight I was the happiest man alive as part of the evening meal was the best ever, zaboca boat. It was a perfect texture and taste. I think my life partner has the skill of the 'cocoa men'. What joy!  'I am a Government Minister, I am not classed as a civilian'. The words of the gun range Minister. I just want to say that during my five [5] years as an MP and a Cabinet Minister I never once received any security briefing, training or other involvement by a security agency. I never got a phone call, memo or pamphlet outlining how to deal with a security situation, handling a weapon, 'boo too' or pepper sp...