Skip to main content

'cow's feet'








The oldest person living in the world died this week. Violet Mosse Brown was born in 1900 in Jamaica  and died on the 15th September 2017 at around 2.30 in the afternoon. Imagine 117 years old, living through every hell on earth and yet many great things. She swore by the bible, never drank rum and ate cow's feet. It's strange how we humans mark our lives by our age. What age did you do what, your first romance, education, drunk, career, marriage, children, mortgage, travel and maybe the first time you ever ate cow's feet.

Growing up in Arima during the sixties I was kind of a hippie, mixed up with black power, did not smoke the weed, drank the rum, I guess did not know who I was or what exactly I was supposed to be. Finished my formal education in 1968 and made my way in the world.  Like Vio I saw a lot of things, good and bad. Looking back on how the world has changed in my lifetime I wonder if it had stayed like the way I experienced it in Arima in the 50s and 60s, where would I have been today.
As one gets older you tend to harp on the good old days. Of course the good old days were great and one should have great memories of growing up, the simple things, life was uncomplicated. Of course the generation before you also boasted of how great life was. Stories of the war, rationing, the job market, how different carnival was, 1956 politics and other happenings. Every generation is different and I marvel at the successes of humankind, I see our grandchildren growing up, slightly different to Arima in the 50s. Playing in hundreds of acres of bush, with no supervision, it is not all that different to a smart phone.

The one thing that does not change is how we, as humans, live our lives. We are taught early in our lives about respect for others and basic tenets for living. Honesty, compassion, responsibility, freedom, authority, give more than you take, do whatever life expects of you. Sad to say with instant communication and social media we see things that are not part of our being. It is not that it never existed, I think that it was always there but not in one's face. Trampling through the bush in Arima I am pretty sure that the crazy people were all around us.

Speaking of crazy people, its Saturday night, and I really do not feel to go there. But if we do not stop, and that is the first thing we need to do, stop and examine what is actually happening in our country, try and figure out where we are going to be in the next five years, make sense of it all and make the right decision to chart our way forward we will only have memories of how it used to be. Our country does not have to be the way it is. We should not have to depend on totally incompetent people to attempt to save us from guaranteed economic collapse.

This country has a tremendous future, its all there in front of us! We need to have visionary leadership, people who have clear sight to our success. The carefree days of running through the bush in Arima not knowing and not caring about tomorrow are long gone. I leave that to the grans, they too will find their way, in the mean time we must provide the start.

Tomorrow I am officially retired from all things official. Just another date in the life of a human!

'I hope I die before I get old'. - Roger Daltrey, 1965

Good night and good luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'apology' expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone

Today Trinidad and Tobago was on fire. The discussions on the 'apology,' discussions on the status of the Parliament, everybody is now a certified meteorological expert reporting rainy season rain, people were out and about being very assertive about things that many of them did not really understand. Heat in the place! The statements being made, which caused the 'apology' to then be made, were being said, I think, without really understanding who we are as a people. This is 2017 and we still are having trouble in coming to grips with many social and historic issues that strangely enough are being discussed every day in many places and yet it is only a problem depending on who makes the statement. Let me say that the statement that was made was, even though to many factual, however it rubbed people the wrong way. This is where I have a problem. You read columns written by certain persons that under no circumstances will offend any sector of the society. That same posi

'the bongo night'

She looks at me and says ' you know what night it is?'. I immediately think of 'the bongo night' and she says 'it's Sunday that means popcorn'. So much for 'bongo'. Love the tropics, it is dark by 6.30 and will be light by 6.00am. This is good for ones being, the daylight and nighttime are more or less equal, good balance. We attended a showing of yet another brilliant artist, Abigail Hadeed, whose work spans decades. Her photography is exceptional and her current show ' the Weight of Water' at the 'Y' is something not to be missed. We are a truly talented people, only 1.3m of us yet we can produce world-class works of art. This is why we are very special, very special indeed. I see the great country of America is having their 'midterm' election.  Why should this be of any import for a small island like ourselves? Well for starters I think there is an equivalent Trini population living in the good ole USA. Depending on h

'aghhhhhhhh'

This week has me feeling so down about the rock and what really is our future. I have always considered myself to be Mr. Optimistic. Things would be bad, sometimes downright terrible with little or no hope and I would be there battling it out. The hard part is our present and future position is all man made [excuse the gender] and it seems that no matter what we do, how we vote, who we put our trust in, it somehow ends up bad. In 1956, the hope was there, a mass appeal, in 1986 it returned and was destroyed by 1990, in 2010 432,026 electors voted for the Peoples Partnership, in excess of 60% of the population. By 2015 a lot of the love disappeared and we found ourselves in a position of no-where once again. I use these years because the popular vote was there, the majority voted overwhelmingly for the winning party. Even though the winner in 1956 did not win by any semblance of a majority, over 80% of the electorate cast their vote. It is interesting to note that in 1956 the PPPG