Skip to main content

age is just a number



It was a good week for me. I am now officially 'an elder' by UN standards. I thought that this term would only be used when I actually felt like an 'elder' but who am I to buck the determinator of all things international. So I began this week at age 66 feeling great, not an ailment, no aching bones, a good head of hair, lighter by 33 lbs since April and feeling no different than when I was 36. Mighty Sparrow was right, age is just a number!

The Rock seems to be coming of age by hook or by crook. The LBGT community won a landmark case this week where a judge declared that consensual sex between two male adults was not against the law. The AG is going to appeal and that apparently is a good thing because it is highly likely that the AG will lose the appeal and that then sets the stage for the sodomy laws to be once and for all struck from the law books. Whew! I did not think for one moment that this would happen. But the Rock is changing, imagine that. Next is the great weed debate, bring it on and at the same time all the ridiculous laws about camouflage pants, 'towing' on a bike, dress code, obscene language, Room No 1 in a bar,  and the hundreds of other nonsensical old colonial B/S laws.

Petrotrin, how many of the people of the Rock understand what is going on at the company. I must admit that I have stopped reading about it. I know that I should be appraising myself of the issues but I am sorry. The die has been cast and that is it. The PMOTT will do what he set out to do and nothing can change that. It is very confusing and something is telling me that the Chinese involvement in a billion dollar ship repair facility at La Brea may very well be connected to the Sinopec involvement with Petrotrin. I find it very coincidental that the Chinese are cropping up in certain things all at the same time. The PMOTT did boast that he was our best salesman. I always thought a good salesman could sell anything but not necessarily be duped into buying anything. Maybe I am all wrong about what a good salesman is supposed to be. Sinopec is no stranger to the Rock having made certain investments with other companies operating locally and supposedly carried out 3-D seismic surveys on the East Brighton Bloc. The confusion caused by the misinformation deliberately placed in the public domain I think is a pure distraction. The Chairman saying one thing, getting his retrenchment figures all wrong, the PMOTT then saying completely different that it is all about the people but the Chairman countering with it's all about the figures, no one knowing how the Rock will be fuelled after the imminent closure of the refinery,  the thousands of acres of lands vested in Petrotrin, the hiring of a CFO for a company that does not exist and most important the economic fallout of the decisions made with reference to the closure of the refinery. It is most confusing and in this wonderful game of politics, the best way to deal with something like this, the shutting down of a major State enterprise and the divvying up of the spoils is to create confusion.
 Our people are masters at this game. Throw everybody off the trail by planting false info about the '1%' ( I hate this stupid term), makes a good story, confuse the population about how many people are going to be retrenched, forget key information about the true cost of decommissioning the existing plant and support services, have zero plan for the E&P soon to be established company, the business of now running a terminal operation, what happens to National Petroleum? does that still exist and if so, why? So many questions and so few answers!

Conspiracy theory: Chinese port = Chinese refinery = Chinese naval vessels.

Once again, at least in my lifetime, remember I am now an elder, I have witnessed the closure of an entire economic system with the first one not being a pretty picture.  The closure of Caroni was a stupid decision. Yes, I agree with the State ownership issues being dealt with but why the closure and not a properly structured reform using private capital? Did we not have privately owned cane farms who could have carried on, did we not see that there were certain areas of the operation which were huge loss-making entities but other areas that could have been salvaged? Anyway, that is history and too late is the cry. I hope that in 20 yrs we don't say the same thing about Petrotrin.

I am in a good place and I have this weird feeling that 'something good is going to happen to me!' I truly love this Rock, I am very concerned about the politics and the lasting effect it will have on everything. I am very concerned about the new, openly racist statements being made by all and sundry politicians and just plain dumb people. The problem is that they, the dumbos including the politicians, have a following and that my good people of the Rock is where it gets scary.

Good night and good luck, open your eyes and read the play!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'apology' expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone

Today Trinidad and Tobago was on fire. The discussions on the 'apology,' discussions on the status of the Parliament, everybody is now a certified meteorological expert reporting rainy season rain, people were out and about being very assertive about things that many of them did not really understand. Heat in the place! The statements being made, which caused the 'apology' to then be made, were being said, I think, without really understanding who we are as a people. This is 2017 and we still are having trouble in coming to grips with many social and historic issues that strangely enough are being discussed every day in many places and yet it is only a problem depending on who makes the statement. Let me say that the statement that was made was, even though to many factual, however it rubbed people the wrong way. This is where I have a problem. You read columns written by certain persons that under no circumstances will offend any sector of the society. That same posi

'the bongo night'

She looks at me and says ' you know what night it is?'. I immediately think of 'the bongo night' and she says 'it's Sunday that means popcorn'. So much for 'bongo'. Love the tropics, it is dark by 6.30 and will be light by 6.00am. This is good for ones being, the daylight and nighttime are more or less equal, good balance. We attended a showing of yet another brilliant artist, Abigail Hadeed, whose work spans decades. Her photography is exceptional and her current show ' the Weight of Water' at the 'Y' is something not to be missed. We are a truly talented people, only 1.3m of us yet we can produce world-class works of art. This is why we are very special, very special indeed. I see the great country of America is having their 'midterm' election.  Why should this be of any import for a small island like ourselves? Well for starters I think there is an equivalent Trini population living in the good ole USA. Depending on h

'aghhhhhhhh'

This week has me feeling so down about the rock and what really is our future. I have always considered myself to be Mr. Optimistic. Things would be bad, sometimes downright terrible with little or no hope and I would be there battling it out. The hard part is our present and future position is all man made [excuse the gender] and it seems that no matter what we do, how we vote, who we put our trust in, it somehow ends up bad. In 1956, the hope was there, a mass appeal, in 1986 it returned and was destroyed by 1990, in 2010 432,026 electors voted for the Peoples Partnership, in excess of 60% of the population. By 2015 a lot of the love disappeared and we found ourselves in a position of no-where once again. I use these years because the popular vote was there, the majority voted overwhelmingly for the winning party. Even though the winner in 1956 did not win by any semblance of a majority, over 80% of the electorate cast their vote. It is interesting to note that in 1956 the PPPG